Monday, March 26, 2012

Interview with Jessica Fortunato, author of The Sin Collector

Today I am super excited to share with you a little interview I did with Jessica Fortunato about her book The Sin Collector. This book sounds so exciting! You can check out the trailer right here, then continue on to hear Jessica's answers to my interview questions!



***

Hi Jessica,

Hey Megan! I’m happy to hear from you, I hope you are enjoying the book!

Did you come up with the concept for the Sin Collector is a flash of brilliance or did it have to percolate in the back of your mind for a while before coming together?

I first read about the mythology surrounding Sin-Eaters over a decade ago.  Their story always stuck with me as being beautifully tragic.  They were these beings, taking on a huge burden to save someone’s soul, but they were outcasts to society when they weren’t needed.  Finally, about three years ago I started putting ideas together to write a story based on these legends, and main character Liliana just blossomed.  Therefore, I suppose I percolated for a little over ten years...wow now that seems like a long time!

Which of your characters do you have the most in common with?

I probably have the most in common with my main character Liliana, since the whole story unfolds through her.  She is first and foremost incredibly sarcastic, which I am constantly.  She goes through a lot in the story, but never has a nervous breakdown and she isn’t a wilting flower.  I suppose we have that in common, if something needs to be done for the greater good we do it.

Describe the Sin Collector in 7 words.

Exciting, Mysterious, Fresh, Insightful, Philosophical, Unique, and Funny!

Did you have to do any research for the Sin Collector? If so, on what and how much?

I already had knowledge of the Sin-Eater legends, which turned out to be the easy part!  In the book, my characters travel all over the globe.  I was constantly trying to stay accurate as to how long a flight from here to there would take.  At one point, they are traveling by boat, and I had to hop on to some forums and learn about how boats chart their courses and how long a specific kind of boat would take to get from one destination to another.  I met many cool people on chat sites researching Ireland, and Madrid as well.

If you won the lotto, what is the first thing you would buy?

A publishing company. LOL I’m just kidding.  I would probably help my family pay off their debts before anything else.  The first “frivolous” thing I would probably buy is a cool car.  I’m not usually a car person, but I LOVE the 2012 Chevy Camaro.  It just looks bad ass!

What three authors have most influenced your work?

Oscar Wilde, he was never scared to be snarky and sarcastic, which I adore.
Alice Hoffman, I have never walked away from a single book of hers without feeling a sense of magic.  She often writes about the strong bonds of family, which is a central theme throughout my novel.
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, because there was never anyone else who could wrap a mystery in a secret and then dip it in more mystery.  I worked hard to create a story that had the reader guessing until the very end.  I hope I succeeded.

Finally, do you have any advice for aspiring writers?

People will hate what you’ve written.  Not all people.  Many people will love your story, and give you credit for your hard work and imagination.  Yet there will still be people who don’t like it.  Don’t let those people destroy your dreams or your confidence.  The first time you get a bad review you are permitted to sulk for exactly two days.  Then you must boot up the laptop, put it behind you and move on.  Use any criticism to push you and better what you write next.  The story you’re telling is in your brain for a reason.  Just let it out!

 ***

Thanks so much to Jessica for doing this interview. It's so exciting to meet another Oscar Wilde fan! He's the one who taught me just how tasty cucumber sandwiches are and the importance on not having crumbs on your cuffs (among other things)!

I hope you enjoyed the interview and if you want to learn more about The Sin Collector and/or stalk Jessica, check out her website (beautifully dark), twitter, facebook, goodreads or go buy the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment