Monday, July 30, 2012

Review: Tallis by M. C. Rae

Blurb:

The Empire of Andresium is threatened by the corruption of the immortals, ancient beings given the gift of eternal life after the death of the last reigning empress. A prophecy speaks of their eventual downfall at the hands of one of their own, however. Tallis is known by most simply as "The Loren," and seeks to avoid her destiny while trying herself to remain untainted by the decaying morals and indifference to the fates of men that plague her kind. As the events of the prophecy begin to unfold, Tallis finds herself conflicted between upholding her dedication to justice, and falling victim to the ramifications of following the desires of her own heart.

My Thoughts:

I wish that Tallis was a novel instead of a novella. I felt like just as I was getting into it, it ended. While I'm sure M.C. Rae (aka. Killian McRae) has intentions to expand the Books of Andresium series, I not the most patient reader and a 57 page novella felt like a teaser! I think Tallis could have been fleshed out a bit more into a novel instead of a novella.

The world M.C. Rae creates in Tallis is very intriguing and I would definitely like to learn more about it. The world feels very complex, but I really feel like 57 pages wasn't enough to do it justice.

 At first I had some trouble connecting with Tallis, as she's very strong and stoic and comes off a bit flat and boring in the beginning. However, it's not too far in that her character becomes more developed and we see some vulnerability in Tallis.

Overall, I felt that Tallis was a bit too short and I would have preferred it to be a novel, but I'm definitely interested in reading the next books in the series when they come along.

On the Cover:

I don't mind the cover on this edition of Tallis, but I prefer the new cover (right).

Rating: 3.5 hearts


Source: I received a copy from the author in return for an honest review.

Find the Book: Goodreads | Amazon

Find the Author: Goodreads | Website | Twitter

2 comments:

  1. Hope that you get to read more about this world soon. Glad that the mc grew on you.
    Thanks for review,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! The world sounds interesting and despite it's short length I am glad to hear that you still enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.

    Following! Feel free to visit my blog.
    SeeitORreadit


    ReplyDelete