Monday, October 22, 2012

Review: Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Info:

Title: Across the Universe (Across the Universe #1)
Author: Beth Revis
Publisher: Razorbill
Publication date: January 11, 2011

Blurb:

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.


My Thoughts:

I absolutely loved this book! It's the best book I've read in a long time and definitely one of my top picks! I loved this book in a way that makes it a little hard to write about it and say anything other than "READ IT!" But I'll try.

Let's start with the characters. I loved Amy and Elder so much! I loved seeing life on the ship through two very different sets of eyes. I can't imagine how difficult to wake up on your own in an entirely different society than you started in, so I could definitely empathize with Amy. Plus, I could relate to her well as a character. While I thought she was strong and proactive throughout the book, she had a few moments where she broke down a little bit, which is exactly what I would do. Spend a few minutes crying, then back to being kick-butt! I also really liked Elder and how he was able to grow throughout the story. He faces some major choices (between what is right and what is easy) and while he's not perfect, he's doing his best.

Hardback cover
The story in Across the Universe is so great and is what really set it apart for me. It's equal parts science fiction and mystery, which I found to be a very cool combination. There are so many plot twists and turns and just when you think you've got it all figured out, there's one last twist that I never saw coming. I was constantly guessing what was going on and overall I think I figured out about 1/4 of the ending.

The opening scene is amazing and creepy and scary all at the same time. I wasn't a huge fan of Amy's dreaming chapters, but other than that, this book was amazing and I want to recommend it to anyone and everyone!

On the Cover:

There's a few different covers around for this one. I have the paperback, so it has a different cover than the hardcover. The hardcover one confused me for the longest time until I realized it was two faces (I was only looking at small pictures and I'm kinda dense like that). While the hardcover is more unique, for that reason I prefer my paperback cover.

Rating: 5 hearts!

Source: Purchased (and signed!)

Find the Book: Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository

Find the Author: Goodreads | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Don't Just Take My Word For It: Reading in Winter | LC's Adventures in Libraryland | Stained Glass in the Night

5 comments:

  1. I loved this book too - looking forward to reading A Million Suns :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES YES YES YES!!! I love this series! And I love that it's a series that kept my attention enough that I remember ALL THE THINGS that happened and can dive right into Shades of Earth when it's released. I can't wait! I'm so happy you love it!

    (And YES! That opening scene is INTENSE! I felt a little nauseated reading it.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend told me about this book but wasn't too interested in it.
    Thanks for the review will definitely keep an eye out for it now.
    Can't wait for your review of Broken, now that's a book I know I want to read
    New Follower via GFC
    Happy blogging! Kristerrn @ BetweenTheLines -WithK

    ReplyDelete
  4. AW YEAH! I can't wait for you to read A Million Suns now. I think you'll really love it, too!! LOVED the characters and the story, too! Though I guessed who the villain was pretty early on, the reason why he was doing what he was doing kept me guessing to the end. SO many plot twists!! SUCH an exciting read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been wanting to read this book for such a long time and I just keep not getting to it. I have heard so many great things about it! It sounds awesome and I will definitely be moving it up my TBR lists, Thanks so much for your thoughts!

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete