Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Review: Sapphire Blue

Info:

Title: Sapphire Blue (Ruby Red Trilogy #2)
Author: Kerstine Gier
Translator: Anthea Bell
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co
Publication Date: October 30, 2012

Blurb:

Gwen’s life has been a rollercoaster since she discovered she was the Ruby, the final member of the secret time-traveling Circle of Twelve. In between searching through history for the other time-travelers and asking for a bit of their blood (gross!), she’s been trying to figure out what all the mysteries and prophecies surrounding the Circle really mean.

At least Gwen has plenty of help. Her best friend Lesley follows every lead diligently on the Internet. James the ghost teaches Gwen how to fit in at an eighteenth century party. And Xemerius, the gargoyle demon who has been following Gwen since he caught her kissing Gideon in a church, offers advice on everything. Oh, yes. And of course there is Gideon, the Diamond. One minute he’s very warm indeed; the next he’s freezing cold. Gwen’s not sure what’s going on there, but she’s pretty much destined to find out.

My Thoughts:

Gwen, Gideon, Lesley and company are back for more time-traveling adventures in the second book. Sapphire Blue was a great sequel to Ruby Red, which I absolutely loved. My love of Gwen continues in this installment. She's just so darn likeable. Even when she takes a few paragraphs to wallow in self-pity, it's somehow endearing, rather than annoying, like so many YA heroines. Maybe because it doesn't last long and because I know I would be doing the same thing!

A new character enters the story in Sapphire Blue: Xemerius the gargoyle demon. I loved Xemerius! He's really funny and I love his running commentary on everything. Another new character that we meet towards the end is Raphael, Gideon's little brother. While Raphael has inherited his big brother's good looks, he lacks Gideon's sense of duty and has little regards for rules. A very dangerous combination indeed and I'm certain we'll see more of Raphael in Emerald Green.

Gideon was a bit of a brat in this one. One minute he's hot, the next he's cold. There were definitely times that I wanted to give him a good shake! Despite how awkward this makes Gwen feel, I think she takes everything in stride, despite the wallowing in self-pity I mentioned above. And there's a bit of a revelation about Gideon's behaviour at the end, only to be followed by ANOTHER revelation in the prologue. I really can't wait for Emerald Green to come out so I can figure out exactly what's what.

And, there's some time travel fun, of course. Through Gwen's eyes, we learn that the eighteenth century perhaps wasn't as prim and proper as we all thought, at least in some social circles. And my opinion of Court Saint Germane has been cemented: all-around pompous ass! Also, Charlotte is so very hateable whenever she makes an appearance in Sapphire Blue. I always remind myself of how she must feel, but I still just want her to behave as nicely as everyone thinks she does.

Overall, Sapphire Blue was a lot of fun. I found that it lacked a little bit of the magic of Ruby Red, although I really can't put my finger on why. It's still a great read and I'm definitely looking forward to Emerald Green!

On the Cover:

 Once again, the paperback cover is pretty, but I prefer the ARC cover, which is also the ebook cover. I think it's more unique and charming than simple a girl in a pretty dress.

Rating: 4.5 Hearts


Source: Received from Macmillian Children's via twitter.

Other Reviews for the Series: Ruby Red

Find the Book: Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository

Find the Author: Goodreads | Website

Don't Just Take My Word For It: I'd So Rather Be Reading | Supernatural Snark | The Book Monsters

3 comments:

  1. I like the ARC cover best, too! That matches the hardcover for Ruby Red a little better.

    I really need to read these books! ONE OF THESE DAYS! At least I know my library has them ... you make me excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really really need to read Ruby Red, I bought it a while back but just haven't gotten to it yet.

    I'm happy that you still loved the MC in this one and it's too bad about the guy. I hate the hot/cold jumpey backey forthey flippey floppey emotions that are so often running rampant in YA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Endearing even in self-pity? Now THAT's a impressive feat! Gah, you've made me so excited to start reading this, Megan!

    ReplyDelete