Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Review: Dream a Little Dream

Info:
Title: Dream a Little Dream
Author: Kerstin Gier
Translator: Anthea Bell
Series: The Silver Trilogy #1Publisher: Henry Holt & Co. (BYR)
Publication Date: April 14, 2015
Source: I received an ARC in exchange for a honest review.

Synopsis:
Mysterious doors with lizard-head knobs. Talking stone statues. A crazy girl with a hatchet. Yep, Liv’s dreams have been pretty weird lately. Especially this one where she’s in a graveyard at night, watching four boys perform dark magic rituals. 

The really weird thing is that Liv recognizes the boys in her dream. They’re classmates from her new school in London, the school where’s she’s starting over because her mom has moved them to a new country (again). But they seem to know things about her in real life that they couldn’t possibly know, which is mystifying. Then again, Liv could never resist a good mystery. . . .

Review:
Somehow, Kerstin Gier's books always manage to feel light-hearted, even when the main character is in mortal peril. Dream a Little Dream is the story of Liv Silver, new girl at school who never could resist a puzzle.

Liv was a likable character certainly, although I have a soft spot for her little sister Mia. However, Liv's curiosity is a bit ridiculous, leading her to do things that are very obviously a very bad idea. I almost felt like I wouldn't feel bad if something happened to her, because she made such bad decisions. Despite that, which could have ruined things for me, I still liked Liv and rooted for her throughout. I found her pretty similar to Gwen from the Ruby Red Trilogy, although here we've swapped time travel for demons and crazy dreams.

As I mentioned, my favourite secondary character was Liv's little sister Mia, who had some mad detective skills. I also liked Liv's future stepbrother Grayson. However, I found Florence a bit overdone, Lottie a touch silly and Henry confusing. One of the things that bothered me was that the love story here felt rushed to me. I wish more time had been spent developing the attraction. I mean, it's a trilogy, so there's lot of time to develop the relationship and I wish it had gone a bit slower.

Another thing that didn't bother me, but I feel like I should mention, is that this book certainly reads like younger YA. I think that's why it managed to feel light-hearted, despite the danger and mystery. 

The plot of this one was interesting and the concepts behind Liv and the other's dreams were unique and pretty cool. Although I don't think I would want anyone intruding into my personal dreams!

Overall, I did enjoy this book and can't wait to continue the series and see what our villian has in store for Liv and her friends.



Find the Book:
Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository | Chapters
Find the Author:
 Goodreads | Website

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting this one for a while now, and I'm glad to see that you liked it! I loved her other series and I was so excited when I heard about this one. Thanks for reviewing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the cover on this and then I don't at the same time and I can't even explain that. ;)
    Glad you enjoyed this! This is an author I really need to try out.

    ReplyDelete